Charlie Glass's Slippers: A Very Modern Fairy Tale - Holly McQueen

Review

Charlie Glass's Slippers is a fun read, and I couldn't put it down.

Charlie has a few image issues when in the same vicinity as her stick thin sisters.  She has it in her head that being slimmer will help her run her dad's shoe business.  But it may not.  She becomes someone that is constantly stressing about her image.  She has to look a certain way for everyone, and that thought process drove me mad! She starts placing all of her value in her appearance.   There are a couple of potential love interests: Ferdy and Jay.  I really liked Ferdy even though I thought he got upset about ridiculous things.  And I couldn't stand Jay.  He thinks money shows affection, and couldn't be more wrong.

We also learn about how awful Charlie's sisters can be.  There were a few times I wished I could reach through the pages.  They are so mean to Charlie.  She's treated more like a servant that an part of the family.  And don't even get me started on her step-mother.  That's a whole other can of worms.  That woman is awful.  Charlie definitely needs to learn to stand up for herself when it comes to the step-monster.

I loved everything about this book.  The pacing was great, we went on this journey with Charlie, and had the chance to see her grow.  I also loved all of the characters.  They were fleshed out well, and added something to Charlie's story.

I definitely recommend this book.  It's fun and perfect as the summer winds down.