Red Hill - Jamie McGuire
I’m so happy that Red Hill was the first Jamie McGuire book I’ve read. I absolutely loved it. I’m not one for super romancey books, and this one was right up my ally. The perfect balance of gore and love.

I have to say, I think I connected with this book so much because I am a mom. This is a very strong point in Red Hill, as one of the main characters, Scarlet, is a mother also. She’s a strong woman that loves her children to the moon and back. All of the main characters were exceptional. Even the secondary characters have a place in my heart. The way the characters interacted with each other was great. Everything wasn’t all hey lets outrun the living dead. The characters fought, cried, and loved each other. There were some really strong bonds built within the story.

I also loved the setting. I know it takes place in our time and world, but it was so realistic. McGuire didn’t go into deep detail about the zombies feeding, but the glimpses we got were terrifying. I don’t know what I would do if I were in the situations these people were in, and I think that helps make the book easier to relate with. I would have liked a clear answer about how the epidemic came to be. The explanation was kind of vague.

I loved this book, and I now want to read more of Jamie McGuire’s work.