Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock - Matthew Quick
This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & More

Thoughts on Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock

I'm not even rating this book because I don't know how in the world I would rate it.  I have very mixed feelings about it.  On one hand, it brings voice to suicide and many other issues.  But on the other I didn't care for Leonard at all.

Leonard begins the book saying he's going to kill a boy in his class and then himself.  It's very blunt with the way it's said.  He even gets gifts for those he is close to as some kind of farewell. Some of those gifts are small, and some are a pretty big deal.  My issue with Leonard, other than the fact that he plans on shooting a classmate, is that he looks down on everyone.  There is some big issue between him and this kid, and it's changed the way he views things. Add the issues with his mother and father, and you have a kid that is suffering. He takes all this out on everyone else by talking down to them, and caring little about how they feel.  He just left a bad taste with me, and I feel like after everything that he goes through he didn't really change much.

I also wasn't a fan of the premise. But that could be because of gun violence in youth, and in general, is happening so frequently these days. It was hard to see how he was dealing with things, and how he justifies the actions he plans to carry out.

The one thing I did love is Leonard's History teacher.  He cares, and does whatever he can to help his students.  I like that he reaches out when he thinks something is amiss.  He has advice that he gives Leonard, and tries to steer Leonard in the right direction. He's gone through his own issues, and he knows sort of what Leonard might be feeling.  I also loved that Leonard felt he could somewhat open up to him.

Overall, it was an okay book.  Even though I didn't care for the main character at all, or the premise, I appreciate the message it's trying to send.