Side Effects May Vary - Julie    Murphy

Side Effects May Vary is a book different from any that I’ve read. If you’re looking for a book with rainbows and sunshine this probably isn’t it.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from SEMV, but I’m happy I read it. It was so hard for me to put down and get other things done. Alice and Harvey have an intense friendship/relationship. They don’t really get along some of the time, and I honestly don’t see how they could ever be good for each other.

Alice doesn’t know how to deal with the fact that she is in remission. She’s done some pretty crazy things to get back at those that hurt her. She’s so afraid of the unknown that she just wants to hide, and pretty much say “screw everyone.” Harvey is a complete pushover. He knows Alice can be bad for him, but he sticks around anyway. I wanted to smack him upside the head for being dumb.

I loved how the book went back and forth. Each flashback has repercussions, or something that’s happening now pertains to what happened then. I think it’s good for Alice to take a look back, and see how what’s happened before led her to where she is now.

I highly suggest this for those wanting something different from a book dealing with cancer. You can see how dark things can become inside your own mind.

“I didn’t want the easy kind of love. I wanted the crazy love, the kind of love that created and destroyed all at the same time.”
Source: http://bookishthingsandmore.com/2014/03/blog-tour-side…eview-giveaway.html