Gameboard of the Gods -
2.5Sadly this book didn't hit the spot for me. I'm a huge fan of Richelle Mead, and I just couldn't get into this book as much as her other works. It took me right at a week to push myself through this book. My biggest problem is I couldn't connect with the characters. Mae is hardened, and never lets anyone in. She doesn't read between the lines, everything is cut and dry for her. She's rigid, and just kind of blah. (If that makes any sense.) I liked Justin a bit more. He has a sense of humor, but his arrogance annoyed the hell out of me. He refuses to give in to what's directly in front of him. He also plays with people's emotions entirely too much. The one character I loved was Tessa. She's a sweet girl that's thrown into a new world. She adjusts well, and acts like any teenager would. She's also incredibly intelligent, and she's not given enough credit for how much she's able to pick up. I liked the idea of the story. It was just very drawn out. You only get little snippets of information. To me, they are just kind of thrown in there. The last quarter of the book was pretty fast paced. The other thing I didn't like was the lack of information on the religious groups. You get that they are worshiping gods & goddesses, but you don't learn much more about them. Just a small bit about them, and then they move on. I would have liked to know these deities that the people in the provinces thought were great. I don't know that I'll continue with this series. I may one day just to see where the story goes, but it's not at the top of my TBR shelf. I will say, if you are a fan of futuristic societies, this one will intrigue you. It was interesting to see a world without gods, and the effects that has on everybody.