The Shadow Girl - Jennifer Archer
I have mixed feelings about this book. I enjoyed the story line, but I felt like the pacing was a bit off. Lily is an ok character. She's strong when she needs to be after dealing with her dad's death. Her mom seems to have completely gone off the deep end, and Lily has to be the grown up sometimes. I didn't like that she automatically trusted Ty. She didn't know him at all, and was constantly defending him. She's also getting mixed up feelings for her BFF Wyatt. All of this is right after her dad dies. I mean come on, you don't start wigging out over who you like days after your father's funeral. I did however love Wyatt and his grandma. They are incredibly sweet and are always there for Lily and her family. Wyatt is also incredibly loyal to Lily. Even though she does some crappy things, he sticks by her. He may have more than friend feelings for her, but he'll always be there as her best friend. Now on to Iris, the shadow girl. I like how passionate she is, but I don't care for the fact that she's pushy when she doesn't need to be. She's so focused on her needs, that she completely ignores the needs of everyone else, including Lily. In some places the pacing was great. The story flowed easily, but I felt like the last 1/4 of the book was rushed. It just felt like everything built up for this big thing to happen. I just didn't like how it went from slow-going to fast paced events. I also didn't care for the some-what love triangle. The story would have gone along more smoothly without it. Even with the things that bothered me, I was engaged with the book. I think if we would have had a few more glimpses from Iris, and maybe made it a little longer, I would have liked it a lot more. It would be great if we could see Iris's childhood in a novella or short story though.