The Sweet Dead Life - Joy Preble
Sweet Dead Life is such a refreshing angel story. The angels aren't broody, or anything like angels in other books. In fact this angel is the sort, you might not want your kiddos hanging out with. Jenna is an awesome character. She's spunky, and doesn't hold back her thoughts. I love that's she's out there. I also adore the fact that this book isn't centered around her pining over some boy. Her and her brother, Casey, are trying to figure what is wrong with her and her mom. They have supported their family any way they can. Casey is a mess. He tries to keep food in the house for Jenna, and his biggest downfall is that he is stoned much of the time. He has the best of intentions though. I really enjoyed the fact that Preble included drugs in her story. It's something that kids face everyday, and I hope that they can choose what's right and wrong. The story is fast paced, and there's always something that keeps Jenna and Casey occupied. You realize how important these siblings are to each other. I love how they react to each other. It reminds me a lot of my relationship with my brother. We annoy each other, but we love each other. It's the same for these two. If you're looking for a fun, quick read, then this book is for you. It's sweet, loving, and mysterious. I'm ready for the sequel next year!