After the Fear - Rosanne Rivers
I have yet to be disappointed with a Immortal Ink book. They publish some pretty great books. With that being said, After the Fear was no different. It's got action, love, and survival.I'm not going to lie, this book reminded me a lot of the Hunger Games. But that's not a bad thing at all. It takes it to a completely new level. Each month there is a tryout in certain cities for new Demonstrators, who are chosen to pay back their city's debt. England, and many of the countries nearby, owe other nations a massive amount of money. They came up with the Demonstrations in order to help pay back some of that debt. If you survive the tryout, you are then sent to a camp to train for more Demonstrations. In order for you to become free, and return home, you must win all 25. I'm pretty sure I would hate to live in this world. Anything could get you picked as a criminal. Sola is a great main character. She knows she must survive, but she's compassionate, and doesn't want to become a cold-hearted killer in order to pay her debt. Although she's sent to this fate, she manages to try to make the best of it, and ends up with some pretty awesome friends. She tries to be strong all of the time, but let's face it, she's still a teenager. Sola has all of those confused feelings when it comes to boys, and now you've added having to fight for your life as the entertainment for others. Alixis becomes her best friend. She's funny and a likeable character. Alixis has a way of brightening Sola's days and making her feel almost normal. She shows Sola that she can be more than just a killer. Alixis also has a secret that can end pretty badly for her. Then there's Dylan. He's dreamy, even though there are moments you want to smack the mess out of him. He's loyal, even when you think he doesn't care. He does what he can to make sure Sola has a chance to go home. There's never a slow spot. There is always tension, and you're left wondering what's going to happen next. The Demonstrations are gruesome. There's so much bloodshed and pain. I don't see the point in it, but it works in this world. The pacing of the story is spot on. You're always engaged. I couldn't put the book down. I was on the edge of my seat wanting to see how Sola reacts to situations. I can't wait to read more of Rivers' writing. She has a way with words that keeps you in the story. It's simple and beautifully written. Definitely pick this book if you're wanting a dystopian book filled with emotion and wonder.