Broken - A.E. Rought
I'm a big fan of retellings. I was excited because this was a spin on Frankenstein, which is probably one of my favorite novels of all time. I ended up not caring for this book all that much. I think I was expecting something completely different.I did love certain aspects of the main character, Emma. She's strong when it comes to dealing with the mean girls at school. They typically make her life hell, and she does her best to not let it effect her. She also questions things. She doesn't take answers at face value. I didn't like how self-centered she is. She makes everything about her, and it was annoying. Alex was going through a lot of things too, and she didn't really take into consideration how he was handling things. Emma's mom reminds me of how my mom was toward me when I was that age. I loved her strength, and firm actions. Emma may not understand how much her mom truly loves her. I was ecstatic that there was a father present. There aren't many books that have a complete family unit. I didn't feel a connection to him though. It seems like he was just kind of there. He didn't add anything to the story except for his presence.For me the story line was dragging. We get too many mundane details. There wasn't a lot of depth to the story or characters either. And the series of killings mentioned in the blurb is only touched on twice. I also feel we get just a little too much insight into the major plot arcs from the blurb. I might have liked it more if there wasn't so much information given from the beginning.The concept was great, I just don't feel she hit the nail on the head. Had there been more mystery to the story, or even the characters, I think I would have enjoyed it more.