Magisterium - Jeff Hirsch
Back in September, I went to Austin Teen Book Festival. Jeff Hirsch was the moderator for a panel. He spoke a little about his book, and I thought it sounded interesting. But I mostly purchased this book based on the cover. It is beautiful and creepy all at the same time. So, of course I had to get it. The storyline was unique. The book brings together technology and fantasy. I didn't think it could be done, but Hirsch pulled it off nicely. I didn't connect well with the main character, Glenn. She's whiney, and refuses to believe other possibilities when they are right in front of her face. She's irrational. She does what's best for her and doesn't think about anything or anyone else. The supporting characters were more likeable than Glenn. I just feel like she didn't have much depth. I felt like the events were rushed, and I was left with a lot of questions. Some of the magical elements weren't explained very well, and that frustrated me beyond belief. The way the book ended it could be a standalone or series. I'd love to learn more about the Magisterium and get a grasp on the inhabitants. If you're looking for something different, or a big Fantasy fan, you might enjoy this.