Wake (Watersong, #1) - Amanda Hocking
Gemma has confidence and a love for the water. When boys begin going missing, Gemma's sister, Harper, forbids her to go on her nightly swims in the bay. The family dynamic stands out in this book. Harper has practically raised Gemma since their mother's accident. Both girls live with their father. He's not very present, unless something happens. He's guarded with this feelings, and you never really know how he is coping. The sisters are pretty close, and I admire their relationship. The creepy girls in town annoyed the hell out me, but also freaked me out. They are almost stalker-ish. They are used to getting what they want, and Gemma proves to be difficult for them. Daniel and Alex are the dominant male characters. Alex is worried about the sudden change in Gemma's character. Daniel keeps bugging Harper for a date. These are loyal guys and willing to do what they can to help the girls. Although, I wonder about Daniel's past and why he can resist the call. All in all, I did like this book, and will be picking up Lullaby. It's a great spin on mermaids. They aren't content all the time. They are deadly, and monsters. The only question left is, what will happen to Gemma?