The Portrait of Alatiel Salazar a Gothic Horror Novella - Steven Katriel
To me, this novella was a mix of Bram Stoker and Rob Zombie. Ever scene in Portrait seemed like it could play out in a Zombie horror flick. This isn't my usual genre, but I enjoyed the story. I was confused in the time lapses at some parts, but quickly figured things out. Gabriel is trying to find his fiance only yo end up in the presence of Christian Salazar. You never really figure out, or are told, what Salazar and his family really are. You begin to wonder if everything that has happened is real or an illusion. Even Gabriel is confused while at the Salazar estate. It's pretty trippy. Some of the scenes are kind of graphic, so if that bothers you, you may want to pass. The cover alone is pretty damn freaky. It paints the scene that it represents wonderfully. When I first saw the cover I couldn't figure out what or who it was. But it will click into place when you come upon this passage in the novella. If you want a horror story that will blow your mind, this is it. It was very creepy, and I wouldn't read it in the dark, or alone.